[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Filters and encoding commandline options interaction

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Tue Feb 15 13:15:34 CET 2011

On date Tuesday 2011-02-15 12:48:11 +0100, Christian Ebert encoded:
> * Michael Niedermayer on Monday, February 14, 2011 at 23:16:00 +0100
[...]
> > fixed in ffmpeg at videolan
> >

> >> so if we set the size through the filterchain description the video
> >> injected to OUT1 and OUT2 may have different size/pix_fmt and will
> >> result in a corrupted stream.
> >>
> >> Comments are welcome.
> >
> > Please send patches against ffmpeg at videolan from now on
>
> While the version @videolan offers definite improvements - thank
> you! -, from a poor _user_'s perspective the interaction between
> -vf and -aspect and -s is utterly obscure and confusing,
> especially when the source has non-square pixels (eg. vob,
> pal-dv). I tried to note some of my findings at
>
> http://roundup.ffmpeg.org/issue2377
>
> latest:
>
> http://roundup.ffmpeg.org/msg13631
>
> It was marked solved and closed, but, again from user's
> perspective, this feels almost like a joke. Add to it that the 2
> heads of the ffmpeg hydra now also _behave_ differently, "solved
> and closed" is, errmh ...

I just want to say that I share the feeling, having two distinct repos
with different behaviors is an *hell* for both users and developers
which are unlucky enough to pass through the crossed fire of the
contending parts.

The praised "merge&branch" model works fine for easing the development
and later integration of topic branches, but doesn't work fine if you
want a single "official" repo where all the fixes and features finally
converge.

Many attempts have been done for solving the situation and all
miserably failed. I believe we should try to forget the past and find
some way to work togheter for the sake of the project.
--
FFmpeg = Free and Fast Mean Patchable Ecumenical Gadget