[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Filters and encoding commandline options interaction

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Feb 15 14:53:20 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 01:15:34PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Tuesday 2011-02-15 12:48:11 +0100, Christian Ebert encoded:
> > * Michael Niedermayer on Monday, February 14, 2011 at 23:16:00 +0100
> [...]
> > > fixed in ffmpeg at videolan

> > > Please send patches against ffmpeg at videolan from now on
> >
> > While the version @videolan offers definite improvements - thank
> > you! -, from a poor _user_'s perspective the interaction between
> > -vf and -aspect and -s is utterly obscure and confusing,
> > especially when the source has non-square pixels (eg. vob,
> > pal-dv). I tried to note some of my findings at
> >
> > http://roundup.ffmpeg.org/issue2377
> >
> > latest:
> >
> > http://roundup.ffmpeg.org/msg13631
> >
> > It was marked solved and closed, but, again from user's
> > perspective, this feels almost like a joke. Add to it that the 2
> > heads of the ffmpeg hydra now also _behave_ differently, "solved
> > and closed" is, errmh ...
>
> I just want to say that I share the feeling, having two distinct repos
> with different behaviors is an *hell* for both users and developers
> which are unlucky enough to pass through the crossed fire of the
> contending parts.
>

> The praised "merge&branch" model works fine for easing the development
> and later integration of topic branches, but doesn't work fine if you
> want a single "official" repo where all the fixes and features finally
> converge.

is there any bugfix or feature that ive not integrated into ffmpeg at videolan?

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin