[FFmpeg-devel] About guess_correct_pts / AVFrame.best_effort_timestamp

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Wed Feb 16 14:01:05 CET 2011

On 02/16/2011 01:26 PM, Nicolas George wrote:
> 2. A field in AVFrame, set at the same time as the rest of the structure.
>    Exporting the underlying logic is ok, but only if there is a need for it.
>
> 3. The current algorithm seems fine to me for a start,
>    but I do not insist on it if someone proposes something better.
>    There have been hints of problems in the timestamp logic, but nothing
>    precise that could be actually pinned on this algorithm.

The current algorithm and all the heuristics present in libavfilter
should be consolidated and made optional. We have too many workarounds
that might solve something breaking something else (e.g. the mpegts
produced by some old vlc fed by an axis camera are wrongly workarounded
as I recently discovered). It needs a non small effort and possibly lots
of people working together. You seem interested on the topic, would you
help us sorting it out completely?

lu

--

Luca Barbato