[FFmpeg-devel] About guess_correct_pts / AVFrame.best_effort_timestamp

Jean-Daniel Dupas devlists
Wed Feb 16 17:37:41 CET 2011

Le 16 f?vr. 2011 ? 17:28, Ronald S. Bultje a ?crit :

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Jean-Daniel Dupas
> <devlists at shadowlab.org> wrote:
>> Even with accurate timestamp, you have to handle the case where only dts is provided, only pts is provided, bot are provided, neither are provided.
>> But I clearly understand that you decided that all clients writing the same code again and again and again it  the right solution, and you don't want to talk about any solution that may improve this situation.
>
> No - but it's format-dependent, as you said. therefore, the code
> should go in lavformat.

Agree.

I'm not arguing that the proposed patch should be commited and is the right one,
I'm just trying to tell that the Nicolas' request to enhance the timestamp support is not worthless.
There is a real need of a computed/estimated timestamp provided by ffmpeg libraries when decoding frames.

-- Jean-Daniel