[FFmpeg-devel] About guess_correct_pts / AVFrame.best_effort_timestamp

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Thu Feb 17 19:40:56 CET 2011

On 02/17/2011 06:47 PM, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:

> No, it is still wrong for AVI. Which I said over and over, but you continue
> to spout the same shit over and over and over and people still listen to you!
> WTF is this shit going on here?

could we try to stay calm?

in some AVI you have a number of peculiarities, agreed, how many of them
could be addressed by the demuxer?
how many could be addressed having the demuxer call in parsers for help?

The problem with the current approach is that sometimes an heuristic is
triggered by the codec in some common libavformat code breaking
something while solving something else.

What should be done is to make sure that demuxer specific workarounds
stay next to the demuxer and they gets called in by the demuxer and not
by "if (codec_id == CODEC_ID_FOO && generic_condition(pts, dts,
something)) flip_pts_dts(...);" in the common code.

So we would have the common code possibly cleaner and leaner and working
fine with demuxers that do not have those quirks.
Peculiar containers and/or codec should have workarounds stay next to
them and have a clear way to trigger (and disable) them.

I think that should cause much disagreement

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux