[FFmpeg-devel] About guess_correct_pts / AVFrame.best_effort_timestamp

Nicolas George nicolas.george
Fri Feb 18 00:15:00 CET 2011

Le nonidi 29 pluvi?se, an CCXIX, Luca Barbato a ?crit?:
> because h264 in nut or h264 in mkv shouldn't be interpreted as h264 in
> avi just to name one...

To what extent should it be interpreted differently?

I thought that, specifically for H.264, concatenating the payload of the
packets would just give an elementary stream that would decode just the
same.

> If you want to extract information from the codec and use it to help
> getting valid information to sync streams you should do that in a place
> in which you are aware of ALL the information available, this place
> usually it's outside the decoder...

I try to follow your reasoning: the place where all the information is
available is after the decoder, isn't it? Before the decoder, all the
information embedded in the payload is not decoded yet.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George