[FFmpeg-devel] Using tags and branches.

Janne Grunau janne-ffmpeg
Mon Jan 3 11:18:28 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:26:29PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> git describe works on tags.
>
> people should branch from mainline every time needs to experiment or to
> keep a release going and hopefully sync/merge to mainline

judging from my experience with git for MythTV we should probably forbid
merge commits at least until everyone is familiar with git to avoid ugly
criss-cross merges which will duplicate commits.

> I'd like to have a layout so:
>
> - we tag the mainline commit from which a release is branched

in principle ok but it might be confusing since it will result in similar
version strings in the branch and master (only a different abbrev hash)

> - we tag the mainline every time we break the ABI/API
>
> It helps to get either how far we are from a tagged release or from the
> latest incompatible change using git describe and to see quite easily
> which was the latest compatible version with a certain api.

I agree otherwise

Janne