[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] optimize ff_emulated_edge_mc

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jan 3 14:59:20 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 10:30:50PM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> >> Attached is a more reviewable version. It contains basically similar
> >> changes as above to the C version, plus I've added the function to
> >> DSPContext and have all decoders use it. It's now (for VP8) down from
> >> about 2x as fast as the faster C variant in my original post. All this
> >> on a Core i7, Elephants Dream sample on a Macbook Pro / OSX 10.6.
> >>
> >> Here's what it does different than the C version:
> >> - memcpy-style copy of top/bottom edge and body uses movdqu and then
> >> only mov for the remaining 8/4/2/1 bytes
> >> - left/right edge writing decision is made once, and then the loop is
> >> largely branchless - this could be done for the C version also perhaps
> >> - the left/right edges are written two bytes at a time (makes a little
> >> bit of a difference, I tried 4/8 bytes also but that's slower,
> >> probably because we now need to ensure we write the correct amount of
> >> bytes, whereas for 2, we can overwrite by one into the edge pixel
> >> itself and then it doesn't matter I like how you can mov %al, %ah
> >> without destroying the lower 8bits, unfortunate that that's not
> >> possible for any part of the general registers (or xmm/mmx
> >> registers)...
> >
> > mov al,ah with *ax being used afterwards
> > has speed issues on some cpus
> > what about some *mul by 257 ?
>
> That was a lot slower than the mov al, ah. Do you know which CPUs it's
> supposed to be slower at so I can test & compare and possibly set up a
> compile-time variant of both?

ppro/p2/p3 should have a 5+ cycle stall writing into part of a register and
reading the whole unless the whole was zeroed by xor before
on later intel cpus this isnt free either but cheaper

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates