[FFmpeg-devel] Adding AMD OpenVideo Decode acceleration

Leith Bade leith
Fri Jan 7 15:01:25 CET 2011

Hi Carl,

I see what you mean. I had noticed that it did not have the lib on my Ubuntu
install.
Hopefully they will port it. This first version only supports H264 level 41
even though they specify an API for level 51, MVC, VC-1 etc so I imagine
that ATI Stream 2.4 will expand on this.

I am not interested in DXVA as you cannot share it's buffers with OpenCL
easily (AMD don't have CL to D3D9 interop like NVIDIA does, only CL to
D3D10).

DXVA does not work with D3D11 and DirectCompute either as D3D9 cannot share
with DXGI/D3D10/11/

So if you want to run custom filters etc on the video using GPGPU then OVD
is the only API for it so far.

I also suspect that NVIDIA will support OVD sooner or later as I think OVD
will become part of a Khronos spec. (I read somewhere on the AMD website
that the reason they only support H264 so far is that they were cooperating
with a 'third party' to ensure that APIs will be cross vendor compatible).

Thanks,
Leith Bade
leith at leithalweapon.geek.nz