[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Cleanse swscale

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Wed Jan 12 17:24:49 CET 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 1/12/11 3:35 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> That all said, iam quite neutral about this kind of changes, if things
>> improve
>> (on technical grounds) iam all in favor, if they worsen iam not. I have no
>> problem with either design
>> If its worth all the work, is something that you have to decide ...
>
> Sorry to be a bit strong

This is not strong, this is necessary.

You might have noticed that even years after the merge, there's still
many more people working on lavc than lsws. Even though techniques
required to work on one vs. the other are identical.

There's a reason for that. It's a massive mess. I could do it but have
no time. I'm happy Luca is doing it instead. Once clean, it's easy to
speed up. And it can be made faster, even for x86. Mplayer coders
surely are ok, but they're not gods. Anything can be made faster given
enough eyes.

I fully support what Luca is trying to do. Please keep doing it.

Ronald