[FFmpeg-devel] MPlayer changes discussed on FFmpeg mailing lists

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jan 17 01:33:06 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 06:37:54PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Recent events make me think a general statement is in order.
>
> FFmpeg and MPlayer have always been closely related and many devs are
> shared even though the relationship is no longer quite as close as it
> used to be.
>
> Some of the FFmpeg committers are MPlayer committers as well.  However,
> the FFmpeg mailing lists are not the MPlayer mailing lists.  MPlayer
> changes *must* be discussed on the MPlayer mailing lists before being
> executed.  Relying on MPlayer developers to follow FFmpeg mailing lists
> in order to be notified about changes to MPlayer is unacceptable.  It
> also does not work in practice as we just witnessed.
>
> Also note that such behavior is a clear violation of MPlayer project
> policy (?5, ?9, ?12).  In the past I have been direly criticized for
> not closing accounts due to perceived policy changes.  Please avoid
> putting me in a situation where my only option is closing accounts.

Please accept my appology in the name of all people involved in this

We should have CC-ed mplayer-dev, noone did.
I repeat my and carls offer to revert the change, it is no major problem at all
to keep the tabs in libmpcodecs and keep or remove them from
libavfilter/libmpcodecs independantly, if the mplayer developers prefer this.

Also as you are making a general statement about the policy, let me make one
too. what you say that "my only option is closing accounts"
really you can "send a mail", "call us on the phone, hell you have my and i bet
carls number", closing accounts is the thing that is done when other options
fail. Like it should have been when you ignored my dozends request to revert
several commits you did to my code ...

The real ebay dictionary, page 1
"Used only once"    - "Some unspecified defect prevented a second use"
"In good condition" - "Can be repaird by experienced expert"
"As is" - "You wouldnt want it even if you were payed for it, if you knew ..."