[FFmpeg-devel] MPlayer changes discussed on FFmpeg mailing lists

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jan 17 16:40:45 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 01:23:36PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 01:33:06AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 06:37:54PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > Recent events make me think a general statement is in order.
> > >
> > > FFmpeg and MPlayer have always been closely related and many devs are
> > > shared even though the relationship is no longer quite as close as it
> > > used to be.
> > >
> > > Some of the FFmpeg committers are MPlayer committers as well.  However,
> > > the FFmpeg mailing lists are not the MPlayer mailing lists.  MPlayer
> > > changes *must* be discussed on the MPlayer mailing lists before being
> > > executed.  Relying on MPlayer developers to follow FFmpeg mailing lists
> > > in order to be notified about changes to MPlayer is unacceptable.  It
> > > also does not work in practice as we just witnessed.
> > >
> > > Also note that such behavior is a clear violation of MPlayer project
> > > policy (?5, ?9, ?12).  In the past I have been direly criticized for
> > > not closing accounts due to perceived policy changes.  Please avoid
> > > putting me in a situation where my only option is closing accounts.
> >
> > Please accept my appology in the name of all people involved in this
> >
> > We should have CC-ed mplayer-dev, noone did.
> > I repeat my and carls offer to revert the change, it is no major problem at all
> > to keep the tabs in libmpcodecs and keep or remove them from
> > libavfilter/libmpcodecs independantly, if the mplayer developers prefer this.
> >
> > Also as you are making a general statement about the policy, let me make one
> > too. what you say that "my only option is closing accounts"
> > really you can "send a mail", "call us on the phone, hell you have my and i bet
> > carls number", closing accounts is the thing that is done when other options
> > fail.
>
> Funny that you never got that memo yourself.  To this day, you have not
> initiated a single phone call yourself, not even an IRC chat.  Surely

Thats quite untrue, i very definitly called attila a not that long while ago
That said iam neither fan of phone calls nor irc. Which is why i use email
instead of these other methods of communication when possible.

> not for lack of opportunities or for lack of the people around you trying
> to make you use a medium other than email...
>

> Also funny that you don't remember how many times I picked up the phone
> or got into private conversations with clashing parties in order to
> defuse conflicts.

I remember you fusing and detonating the uoti conflict with your phone calls
and in the process made the mplayer project look really bad for ignoring a
2/3 majority in a vote.
Not to mention there where people that where quite upset about you using phone
calls after a vote that did not pass like you thought it would have been better

[...]
> But apologies must be genuine.  A genuine apology only talks about one's
> own mistakes, without accusations, retaliation or playing down the
> mistakes one is apologizing for by putting them into perspective with
> similar faults displayed by others, much less the person one is
> apologizing to.

My apology was directed toward the mplayer project whos policy was violated
here as discussions where done on the wrong mailing list and some developers
of the mplayer project have missed them due to this. I repeat again my offer to
revert these changes and do proper discussions at the correct place before
continuing.
Also even at the risk that you dont like it, i must point out that at the least
this commit cannot have been a genuine surprise to you as i did send you a mail
days before it in which i requested the tab check script to be disabled for the
involved directories in ffmpeg. Ive send it long before any consensus about if
such changes would be needed at all because i did not expect you to make this
change quickly if at all.
After seeing that email you must have realized we would remove the tabs
before commit somewhere instead of stoping development if you would not react.

I think my appology to the mplayer developers is genuine and honest, but you
maybe interpreted it to be an apology only to you personally, that i had not
meant by writing it.
I feel your complaint here is a bit out of proportion which is why i tried to
put it into perspective, it was maybe unwise from me to put this into the same
email on the same day still i did. Iam not a diplomat...

Asymptotically faster algorithms should always be preferred if you have
asymptotical amounts of data