[FFmpeg-devel] Configuring git (incomplete git-howto)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Mon Jan 17 21:11:08 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 09:08:28PM +0100, Fran?ois Revol wrote:

> Le 17 janv. 2011 ? 20:56, Reimar D?ffinger a ?crit :
>
> > Hello,
> > I wanted to commit something, but I noticed that there are no instructions
> > on how to configure git (I know I requested that at one point).
> > If I followed the instructions as is, I'd end up with author given as
> > "reimar <reimar at local.(none)>" which I can't imagine is what we want.
> > That's even ignoring people who have nonsense usernames etc. pp.
> > Could someone please add that?
>
> Indeed, happened to me the first time I (tried to) used git...
>
> cf.
> ftp://ftp.il.kernel.org/software/scm/git/docs/v1.7.3.5/user-manual.html#telling-git-your-name

I don't think that's going to work that well for Windows-users.
At least I'd have no idea where to put that .gitconfig (and is it
named .gitconfig on Windows? I thought .names are a rather bad idea
on Windows and thus programs generally drop the '.').