[FFmpeg-devel] Configuring git (incomplete git-howto)

Rob robert.swain
Mon Jan 17 21:09:55 CET 2011

On 17 January 2011 20:56, Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> I wanted to commit something, but I noticed that there are no instructions
> on how to configure git (I know I requested that at one point).
> If I followed the instructions as is, I'd end up with author given as
> "reimar <reimar at local.(none)>" which I can't imagine is what we want.
> That's even ignoring people who have nonsense usernames etc. pp.
> Could someone please add that?

Probably:

git config --global user.name "Reimar D?ffinger"
git config --global user.email "Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de"

or so. If you want different values for different repositories, I
think you drop the --global and issue the appropriate commands within
the repo of interest. Don't trust me though, read the man pages.

Regards,
Rob