[FFmpeg-devel] Preliminary announcement about the current situation

Janne Grunau janne-ffmpeg
Wed Jan 19 14:17:22 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 01:57:33PM +0100, Thilo Borgmann wrote:

> > -    git clone git://git.videolan.org/ffmpeg <target>
> > +    git clone git://git.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git <target>
>
> Can someone please give me a hint about what repos of FFmpeg now exist and who
> has what permissions?

currently following people have commit rights to the git.videolan.org
repo:

jannau lmerritt mrullgard jgarrett fenrir jruggles mstorsjo ajacobs
gpoirier akhirnov lbarbato vpaesa cehoyos ngeorge thadin rdoeffinger
rtartler rsbultje mniedermayer astrange hchu dverkamp pross rpinochet
rswain ssabatini vsessak bcoudurier ssommer frevol ahannula jmenon
rpolla

that's every svn committer who already had a ssh pubkey on
git.videolan.org or sent me his.

For git.ffmpeg.org only following people have commit access:
  Alex Converse
  Diego Biurrun
  Janne Grunau
  Jason Garrett-Glaser
  Luca Barbato
  Mans Rullgard
  Ronald Bultje

One idea behind limiting commit access to a couple of persons with
git experience was that they will be one last barrier against bad
git commits. My experience with the unfortunately rushed git switch
for MythTV led me to believe that this is an useful feature to prevent
ugly history. And with git it's not much effort to import changes from
developers and contributors as long they a public repository or send
'git format-patch' formmatted patches.

There other public git repos but those should be just personal
developer/contributor repos.

> SVN is dead already?

It is read-only.

Janne