[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] New FFmpeg maintainership

Vitor Sessak vitor1001
Wed Jan 19 21:14:22 CET 2011

Sorry about commenting so late on the subject, I was busy in the last
days...

On 01/18/2011 07:53 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> We, the undersigned, announce that as of today FFmpeg maintainership
> has been assumed by a new team.  Our aim is to facilitate the
> development of exciting new features in a timely manner while keeping
> high quality standards and above all to provide a fair, productive
> environment for developers and contributors.

While I agree that waiting for finally reaching a consensus in the ML
would take forever, just notifying other developers after it is done is
simply rude IMHO. BTW, I saw you feel no need to apologize for that in
your "announcement"...

> Development will be structured similarly to the approach taken by the
> Linux kernel:
>
>    - Write access to the master repository is limited to the
>      maintainer team.
>
>    - Contributions shall be sent as patches to the ffmpeg-devel mailing list.
>
>    - All changes shall be reviewed and approved by at least one other
>      developer competent in the affected area.  This rule applies
>      equally to the maintainer team.
>
>    - Developers are encouraged to publish private repositories.
>
> The maintainer team initially comprises the following people:
>
>    Alex Converse
>    Diego Biurrun
>    Janne Grunau
>    Jason Garrett-Glaser
>    Luca Barbato
>    Mans Rullgard
>    Ronald Bultje

I think that having a small list of people that have commit rights might
help everybody to reduce the bikesheding _if_ in that list there are
only people that are widely considered to be cool-headed and
compromising. I have no idea of how that list of names was chosen, but
it looks like this was not the first criteria.

-Vitor