[FFmpeg-devel] Fwd: ffmpeg -ss switch needs a verbose indication it´s actually skipping frames...

Martin Storsjö martin
Thu Jan 20 08:37:49 CET 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> I recently became aware of the very handy ?-ss? skip switch in ffmpeg
> -previously I used to convert whole long videos then cut what I needed
> - d?oh!-
>
> While the current output might seem fine for very short skips, where
> the skipping operation lasts only a few seconds, if I have a 60-min
> long HD video and I just want ffmmpeg to convert the last 10 minutes,
> that?s skipping 50 mins of source material, which ain?t fast.

Just in case you didn't know it - if you add the -ss option before the
input file, it will (try to) seek to that point in the file, without
decoding all the data from the beginning, which might or might not be
better than what you're currently doing.

// Martin