[FFmpeg-devel] On software using non-public symbols

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Sun Jan 23 09:41:36 CET 2011

On date Sunday 2011-01-23 06:46:54 +0100, Diego Elio Petten? encoded:
> Hi all,
>
> I was asked last night if I could look into which software is currently
> using non-public symbols; I've since added an elfgrep script to my
> ruby-elf[1] and here is its result, as applied over the Gentoo tinderbox
> instance I maintain (which lists 12909 packages compiled and installed).
>
> The attachment reports the details for which file uses which symbol,
> while the relationship with (Gentoo) packages is as follows:
[...]
> /usr/bin/ffprobe U dump_format at LIBAVFORMAT_52
> /usr/bin/ffprobe U parse_date at LIBAVFORMAT_52
> /usr/bin/ffmpeg U url_fopen at LIBAVFORMAT_52
> /usr/bin/ffmpeg U dump_format at LIBAVFORMAT_52
> /usr/bin/ffmpeg U url_fsize at LIBAVFORMAT_52
> /usr/bin/ffmpeg U parse_date at LIBAVFORMAT_52
> /usr/bin/ffmpeg U url_exist at LIBAVFORMAT_52
> /usr/bin/ffmpeg U url_set_interrupt_cb at LIBAVFORMAT_52
> /usr/bin/ffmpeg U url_fclose at LIBAVFORMAT_52
> /usr/bin/ffmpeg U url_ftell at LIBAVFORMAT_52
> /usr/bin/avidemux2_cli U url_fclose at LIBAVFORMAT_52
> /usr/bin/avidemux2_cli U dump_format at LIBAVFORMAT_52
> /usr/bin/avidemux2_cli U url_fopen at LIBAVFORMAT_52
[....]

Amongst the many, parse_date(), dump_format(), url_*() are *public*
symbols defined in the public headers, although they're not properly
av_ prefixed.
--
FFmpeg = Frightening and Foolish Multimedia Puritan Exploitable Gangster