[FFmpeg-devel] Patchwork instance running for FFmpeg-devel

Janne Grunau janne-ffmpeg
Sun Jan 23 16:21:49 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 07:46:45PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 06:01:02PM +0100, Janne Grunau wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > http://patchwork.libav.org runs a patchwork instance
> > (http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/patchwork/) looking on FFmpeg-devel for
> > patches and comments. It's hooked into the git.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git
> > repository and changes patch status on commits. This is currently not
> > working perfectly due to mismatches in commit messages.
>
> can you also make it hook into ffmpeg at videolan ?

It's unfortunately not that easy. Since commits to either repo could and
would trigger state changes on patches, we can't use the same project.
Patchwork uses the mailing list id for identifying projects so we can't
even use the same patchwork instance. Modifying patchwork to run a
second instance on the same host is probably a lot of work, it would be
much easier if someone else sets patchwork up on another host.

I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to have a second instance. There is
still too much manual intervention necessary to not worry over the
duplicated effort. Especially since most patches will end up in both
repositories anyway.

> anyway, i wanted to say this is great. I would though have slightly preferred
> that to be discussed on the ML a bit before

I prefer the 'do some work first, announce later' model. I don't see
much need for discussion. Either we use it or we don't. Making that
decision is easier after actually trying it.

Janne