[FFmpeg-devel] Donations and what happens with them

Diego Biurrun diego
Wed Jan 26 18:20:20 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 06:13:09PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 03:26:04PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > Iam thinking the build system recompiles far too much far too often
> > > Its caused by basing its design on "recompile everything that might in some
> > > corner case need it"
> > > a rule like "minimize the average time it takes a developer to build a
> > > working binary" would work better, id much prefer to have it rebuild just 10%
> > > of what it does for a 1% chance that i need to manually do a make distclean; make
> > > to get a fully working binary.
> >
> > ccache is your friend.
>
> i guess one could hack ccache to achive that

Seriously, have you tried ccache?  If yes, discard my comments as void,
but if not, you should.  It speeds up compilation enormously, especially
because compilation times for things that the build system defensively
schedules for recompilation just in case are pulled out of the cache
almost instantaneously if indeed the same code has been compiled in
this compilation environment already ...

Diego