[FFmpeg-devel] Donations and what happens with them

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Thu Jan 27 14:56:47 CET 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Reimar D?ffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

>> > I'd still like to know what everyone thinks are those better ones are.
>> > Because what I have seen happening is:
>> >
>> > - You said you'd require ok by two developers, essentially doubling review
>> > ? effort for all external patches.
>>
>> Where did you get this idea?
>
> From this:
>
> - All changes shall be reviewed and approved by at least one other
> ?developer
>
> The alternative is that a rule for external contributions was never
> mentioned at all...

Just to make this crystal-clear:
- outside contributions will be reviewed by a reviewer, and applied once OK'ed
- to prevent people with direct commit access from applying stuff
without review (which has happened repeatedly in the past),
contributions from committers shall be reviewed by another reviewer
before being applied

Review happens similar as previously: if there's comments by any
expert person, then the patch can be resubmitted after these have been
addressed. Everyone is encouraged to help review. A reviewer does not
have to be a committer. However, in the end one committer will always
(at least briefly) review your patch, because he's the one applying
it.

Ronald