[FFmpeg-devel] Donations and what happens with them

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Jan 29 12:23:22 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:13:44PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> I see that the current system (committer vs. developer) is adopted for
> forcing the review process with no exceptions and thus avoiding
> post-commit flames due to not-reviewed controversial changes, I wonder
> if it would be a good idea to simply impose the same restrictions via
> policy rather than via the commit mechanism itself.

And I still don't see this working. Again and again I see a patch
getting complains because it isn't the perfect solution, despite the
fact that it fixes a crash or even a showstopper bug, then you try to discuss
it but the "reviewer" is not motivated enough to give more than one
reply a week even if you ping and two years later you still have the
same crash/whatever.
Unless you have some magical formula to change that behaviour I consider
the possibility to say "if you don't do something about it, I will commit"
a _necessity_ to a functioning development.