[FFmpeg-devel] swscale dither

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Jul 15 17:33:19 CEST 2011

Hi ronald

if you really want to reimplement my dither code, may i suggest you
at least do it correctly?
I would end up wasting a few minutes a month maintaining the difference
otherwise, which i dont want

you got the scaling totally wrong and now you add with
55eda370cb6fe9e4c21539f3f90fd940fcf7a103 completely incorrect cliping
because you have the scaling wrong. And the 2 bugs dont cancel each
other you introduce a significant and wrong bias here.

Also you still use 32bit buffers all over the place for handling 10bit
data. ffmpegs code uses 32bit buffers only when needed to maintain
precission and 16bit otherwise. Which should make ffmpegs swscale
twice as fast on 10bit data once its all done with SIMD :)
I dont mind at all if it stays that way :))))
nor do i if you reimplement or take my code as its then less work for
me to maintain the 16/32bit buffer feature :)))))

The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend
to be. -- Socrates