[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] move ffplay.c:input_get_buffer into libavcodec/libavfilter

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it
Thu Jul 21 12:50:12 CEST 2011

On date Sunday 2011-07-17 17:24:02 +0000, Joakim Plate encoded:
> Hi,
>
> I was just about to start adding support for get_buffer/reget
> buffer for use with libavfilter to xbmc.
>
> This would currently imply me copying input_get_buffer() almost
> verbatime from ffplay. Wouldn't it make more sense if that code
> was somewhere inside either libavfilter or libavcodec?
>
> Perhaps even part of the default lavc get_buffer(). If
> avcodeccontext had a avfilter member which outside code could
> set on init if the avfilter buffer allocation functions should
> be used.
>
> It feels a bit silly to re-implement them for any player that
> wish to continue processing a decoded frame in avfilter. They
> are after all not entirely elementary.
>
> I may look at doing it myself but my env for developing on
> ffmpeg itself is sub-optimal (on windows).

In general I'm fine with the idea, but this needs some testing and
IIRC there was some framework problem which needed to be fixed
(e.g. in case of variable input frame size), the plan was to replace
the current use of vsrc_buffer with a source more strictly integrated
with lavc.

Sadly I can't guarantee I can commit the time to do it myself, so
patches are welcome, or you may file a ticket so we'll remember the
issue.
--
FFmpeg = Freaking Fascinating Mythic Plastic Esoteric Gymnast