[FFmpeg-devel] Input/output devices, global data, thread safety, mutexes, etc...

Jonathan Baldwin jbaldwin9182 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 04:17:20 CEST 2011

I need to know whether I need to mutex global data in libavdevice
devices (shared between instances.) Do FFmpeg/Libav and other programs
that utilize libavdevice run different device instances in different
threads? Is there any plan to do so?

Regardless, I'd like to know the recommended way to create mutexes
inside FFmpeg (it couldn't hurt to know.) I'm pretty sure I'm not
allowed to directly call pthreads, and I've heard there is an API that
libav* exposes to make itself "thread-safe" to host applications.