[FFmpeg-devel] huffyuv or ffvhuff in mpegts

Shane M. Walton shane.m.walton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 04:40:54 CEST 2011

On Jun 15, 2011, at 7:16 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> people would have to agree to how huffyuv frames are mapped onto PES
> packets and how things that are stored normally in the avi headers
> are stored in TS
>
> If this is serious and not just an hypothetical question then it would
> be best not to limit it to huffyuv but rather all fourcc/avi based
> codecs. They all follow the same structure ...

Thanks.  I meant it as a serious question.  I started out testing obvious lossless codecs for ability of encoding 1080p in real-time with moderate CPU for transport on a 10G network.  I landed on FFVHUFF, but some more research has suggested that x264 could work better in terms of compression if I can deal with yuv420p (not completely lossless from a YUV 4:4:4 source).  As you are likely aware, TS already supports h.264, so I think I am good to go unless more research suggests x264 has limits that I have not yet understood.

Shane