[FFmpeg-devel] Release

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 21:49:59 CEST 2011

On 6/16/11, Stefano Sabatini <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> wrote:
> On date Thursday 2011-06-16 11:33:33 +0300, Ivan Kalvachev encoded:
>> On 6/16/11, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > We will make the 0.7 oldabi & 0.8 master releases soon
>> > (yes now really) ;)
>> >
>> > if you know of serious bugs, fix them now, or report them
>> >
>> > ill update oldabi tomorrow, this will need testing to make sure its
>> > compatible with old abi/api so please help with that if you care about
>> > oldabi.
>> >
>> > thx
>>
>> I have one line fix for bink audio decoding in mplayer. (ffplay itself
>> is not affected, probably). I'll send it right away.
>>
>> I have a proposal for a numbering scheme.
>> Let's release:
>>
>> 0.7 - old abi
>> 1.7 - new abi.
>>
>> The meaning is simple. The major number indicates abi/api
>> compatibility. While the minor number indicate feature completeness.
>> This way user could easily compare different abi interfaces without
>> getting in confusion what is newer and what is older.
>>
>> Aka in future 0.7.1 may be 0.7 with just security patches, while 0.8
>> would be oldabi with new features (if we still support it).
>
> I prefer to keep the current simple naming scheme, going from 0.6 ->
> 0.7 / 1.7 is just confusing, and we have already the library version
> numbers to indicate API/ABI compatibility.

Library version numbers are well hidden in the source/binaries.

The new numbering is less confusing than making 2 new incremental
releases with (almost) same feature set.  The similar second numbers
would instinctively hint users that these releases are somehow
similar.
The major number is routinely increased when program/project goes
under rewrite and breaks compatibility. We use it in similar meaning.

Also, what number should we use if for some reason we decide to make
another full release with the oldabi? 0.7.1 should be maintenance
only, like the previous 0.5.x 0.6.x used to be ;)

FFmpeg project is over 10 years old, maybe it is time to abandon the
0. prefix ;)

Well, Doing 0.7 and 0.8 is acceptable, but please, give a little bit
more thought of my proposal.