[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] MinGW+FFmpeg survival guide

Peter Ross pross at xvid.org
Sat Jun 25 04:47:11 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 04:57:17PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Peter Wimmer (Lists <peter.wimmer.lists <at> 3dtv.at> writes:
>
> > Wouldn't it be time to make ffmpeg compile with Visual Studio instead of all
> > the MinGW mess? It is really a pain for Windows developers to contribute to
> > ffmpeg.
>
> I suggest you send a patch that
> a) does not make FFmpeg slower
> b) does not make the source unreadable
> c) does not break compilation on supported platforms (where Visual Studio is not
> available)
>
> (I believe we really can agree on these, or am I wrong?)
>
> Since many people asked for it, but nobody sent a patch, I assume it is simply
> not possible (but please correct me if I am wrong).

It is theorectically possible. Whether anyone can come up with a practical solution is
another matter. (IMHO, what is required is a parser that converts C99 and assembly syntax
into the syntax that is suported by MSVC).

For info, several years ago I successfully cross compiled ffmpeg using the Intel C compiler
for windows, in order to get debug symbols in Visual Studio.

Cheers,

-- Peter
(A907 E02F A6E5 0CD2 34CD 20D2 6760 79C5 AC40 DD6B)