[FFmpeg-devel] Cooperative coding between (N)LE and FFmpeg; possibly quality improvements?

Kieran Kunhya kieran at kunhya.com
Sun May 8 00:13:57 CEST 2011

> My inspiration came from Eurosport recently where there
> were so many
> artifacts in the Snooker championship at scene switches
> (MPEG2 playout).

Well that's got nothing to do with non-linear-editing. Thats because the
encoder either is awful and/or the bitrate is too low (or being statmuxed
down). Encoders like x264 have scenecut algorithms that are more advanced
than NLEs.

The way to fix your complaint is to help write a top-class MPEG-2 encoder:
https://github.com/kierank/x262 Most MPEG-2 encoders are ancient.