[FFmpeg-devel] Cooperative coding between (N)LE and FFmpeg; possibly quality improvements?

Kieran Kunhya kieran at kunhya.com
Sun May 8 01:16:33 CEST 2011

> I think you miss understood the 'scenecut' here. When in a
> NLE clips are organised and placed on a timeline, it is
> pretty known at what time which clip is played. To x264 this
> information is only available from an image - not on meta
> data level, which I would like to use to hint the encoder.

The encoder will calculate scenecut costs based on the best compression
efficiency (i.e which modes use the fewest bits). This trumps any metadata
from the NLE. If you still think you can do a better job than the encoder
you can force frametypes or change the scenecut thresholds.

> Offtopic; although a good initiative, this will nadly not
> update any hardware solution.

This is not the case. There are many well known names who will be moving
to x262 when it is done for TV/DVD and some who are already in the process
of moving to x264 for TV/Blu-ray.