[FFmpeg-devel] Help with git bisect

Jon Drukman jsd at cluttered.com
Wed May 11 19:22:29 CEST 2011

I've found a bug in the current version of ffmpeg.  Certain files cause the mp4
muxer to go bonkers and fail.  (See http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/187)
I'm trying to isolate the commit that caused it but I don't really know how to
use git bisect.  You're supposed to provide the tag of the last known good
version, but I have no idea what that might be.  Are there even tagged releases?
 How do I tell it to bisect the entire history of the repository?  Do I have to
make distclean or clean in between checkouts?

I've done:

git bisect start
git bisect bad master

but now I have to provide git bisect good <something> and I don't know what
<something> is.  The last working version of ffmpeg I have is from the svn days,
built in August 2010.  I would have stuck with that but there's a bug in the wmv
decoder that seems to be better in the current repo.

Help me help you!

Thanks
-jsd-