[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Talk about subtitles

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Nov 27 00:29:37 CET 2011

On 26 Nov 2011, at 12:23, Clément Bœsch <ubitux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 07:48:42PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> [...]
>> src_movie should handle the opening and decoding, hopefully with not
>> much additional code.
> Ah, excellent idea the use of src_movie, it should solve a few things. So
> maybe we would "just" move the libass code (from vf_ass) to src_movie, and
> use overlay filter to burn the subtitles?

That will leave most limitations still in.
How to get it user-friendly might be a different question, but the most flexible approach with least code duplication should be:
- src filter that generates AVSubtitles that may contain any type
- conversion filter (comparable to swscale or resample) that makes sure all rects have a certain type
- sink filter
For hard sub, the sink filter will only be sink for subtitle, not for video, and it might be the overlay filter acting like that.