[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 0.7.5 is very much slower than FFmpeg 0.7 for decoding [SOLVED]

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 10:45:05 CEST 2011

--- On Thu, 10/6/11, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at greysector.net> wrote:

> From: Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at greysector.net>
> Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 0.7.5 is very much slower than FFmpeg 0.7 for decoding [SOLVED]
> To: "FFmpeg development discussions and patches" <ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org>
> Date: Thursday, October 6, 2011, 7:11 AM
> On Tuesday, 04 October 2011 at 18:08,
> Unga wrote:
> [...]
> > The issue was asm options.
> >
> > The ffmpeg version 0.7-rc1 was installed with asm
> options. (manual
> > compilation)
> >
> > ffmpeg version 0.7.5 was installed with asm options
> disabled!
> > (FreeBSD port system)
>
> Please ask the port maintainer to enable runtime cpu
> detection
> and not disable asm.

Dear Dominik

The right solution is always to make the ffmpeg directly compatible with FreeBSD (of course, along with other supported OSs). That is, just download the ffmpeg, run configure with once's required options and make and make install.

Right now, thanks to ffmpeg developers, ffmpeg is "directly" compatible with FreeBSD 8. This is a good thing, which benefit larger number of FreeBSD users whether they use FreeBSD port system or not.

Please note, FreeBSD OS and its default port system are two different things. It is not mandatory to use the FreeBSD port system on FreeBSD.

Hope, you have noted, I just compiled and installed ffmpeg with options that I want. I did not wait until port maintainers to upgrade it.

By making any software directly compatible with FreeBSD or any other OS, you make users do not have depend on their port maintainers.

Best regards
Unga