[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 0.7.5 is very much slower than FFmpeg 0.7 for decoding [SOLVED]

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 17:59:50 CEST 2011

--- On Thu, 10/6/11, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at greysector.net> wrote:

> From: Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at greysector.net>
> Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 0.7.5 is very much slower than FFmpeg 0.7 for decoding [SOLVED]
> To: ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org
> Date: Thursday, October 6, 2011, 7:45 PM
> Dear Unga,
>
> On Thursday, 06 October 2011 at 10:45, Unga wrote:
> > --- On Thu, 10/6/11, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
> <dominik at greysector.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > > From: Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at greysector.net>
> > > Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 0.7.5 is very
> much slower than FFmpeg 0.7 for decoding [SOLVED]
> > > To: "FFmpeg development discussions and patches"
> <ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org>
> > > Date: Thursday, October 6, 2011, 7:11 AM
> > > On Tuesday, 04 October 2011 at 18:08,
> > > Unga wrote:
> > > [...]
> with asm
> > > options. (manual

> options
> > > disabled!
> > >
> > > Please ask the port maintainer to enable runtime
> cpu
> > > detection and not disable asm.
> >
> > The right solution is always to make the ffmpeg
> directly compatible with
> > FreeBSD (of course, along with other supported OSs).
> That is, just download
> > the ffmpeg, run configure with once's required options
> and make and make
> > install.
>
> Only partially. The right solution is to fix bugs at the
> source, not
> add workarounds for them everywhere else.

That's exactly what I mean. It should be at ffmpeg level.

> > Right now, thanks to ffmpeg developers, ffmpeg is
> "directly" compatible
> > with FreeBSD 8. This is a good thing, which benefit
> larger number of
> > FreeBSD users whether they use FreeBSD port system or
> not.
>
> This is all good and well, but the preferable solution is
> to fix the
> port so that users can use their distro-provided package
> manager to
> install whatever they want and not need to bother with
> building it
> themselves.

Yep, its the solution for amateur end users who can afford to wait till one day their port maintainer wake up and upgrade the port :)

> > Please note, FreeBSD OS and its default port system
> are two different
> > things. It is not mandatory to use the FreeBSD port
> system on FreeBSD.
>
> Yes, but it's always better not to litter your system with
> self-compiled
> stuff.

Unix OSs do not litter with self compiled stuff. All such stuff can be removed or uninstalled without any residue left. If a particular OS does not supply such facilities, the user must be sophisticated enough.

> > Hope, you have noted, I just compiled and installed
> ffmpeg with options
> > that I want. I did not wait until port maintainers to
> upgrade it.
>
> Good for you. Not everyone can or wants to compile from
> source on their own.

True. Giving a choice is the heart of democracy :)

> > By making any software directly compatible with
> FreeBSD or any other OS,
> > you make users do not have depend on their port
> maintainers.
>
> Yes, however some reasonable minimal requirements have to
> be met.
> Like having a non-ancient version of binutils for example.

It does not matter how beautiful the girl is, as long as you cannot use :)

Especially, commercial users cannot use too restrictive licensed software in their commercial offerings does not matter how new or shining it is. It's like spit, no use.

See what happened to the GCC compiler. It became too restrictive, even to the crazy extent binaries produced by the compiler also covered by the GPL license. So FreeBSD project and many others had no choice and switched to the BSD-licensed clang/llvm.

It's better run slow, than break the law until replacements are made. Those who respect law or have to respect law, this matters a lot.

Best regards
Unga