[FFmpeg-devel] Suggested change for encrypted video

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Sun Oct 16 04:03:03 CEST 2011

Carl,

This AVFMT_FLAG_ENCRYPTED requirement started because of a crash I was
getting on a file that was encrypted. This crash has been reported as being
fixed.

You can read about the crash on an encrypted file here:

https://avcodec.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/495

The above ticket also has a couple links and  attachments for an encrypted
file.

Still, it's obvious to me, that an application should know if a video is
encrypted or not, and might fail. The word 'might' may be kind of a loose
term. I supposed depending on decoder you may not actually know, but maybe
decoder should be able to provide that info and if it can't decode it then
just fail the open.

I am not trying to provide a patch. I am trying to suggest at least a flag
within reason so an app can know if a video is likely to fail decoding.
Isn't this an obvious thing ?

There could be more details as well that I am not familiar with. So I post
it here so someone that is more familiar with the internal workings of
ffmpeg can take a look at this. For example, there may be other likely
failure states that also need to be flagged.

I opened a ticked on this as an enhancement but really its an omission. That
ticket is here:

https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/552

Toward the bottom of that ticket, it is suggested I post it here and thats
what I did.

We can round and round with it, but I think until at least someone who is
more familiar with ffmpeg takes a look and does something about it, it will
remain an omission.

Don Moir