[FFmpeg-devel] Concurrent ProRes decoder

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Sep 21 08:59:15 CEST 2011

On 21 Sep 2011, at 06:57, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 03:42:38AM +0200, Maxim wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Therefore I let you, crews, to make a final decision about all that...
>
> I want 1 decoder that combines the advantages of both decoders
> maintained in friendship and peacefully by both its authors under a
> license both authors agree to.

And I would deeply appreciate if you could both agree to at least chose in the long term a license that avoids the issues of GPLv2 only, like having to chose between AMR en-/decoding and ProRes in MPlayer.
I just think that for decoders it isn't nice to keep people stuck in a proprietary environment because moving out of it is blocked by some license.
I wouldn't mind a bit a compromise like "LGPLv2+ from 2014 on" or such.