[FFmpeg-devel] FFV1 Specification

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Sun Apr 8 14:21:38 CEST 2012

On 04/08/2012 01:58 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Its unlikely that decoding a damaged frame will have the end-of-stream
> matching with the end of the pixels. So id say 99% of the damaged
> frames should be detectable that way. Detection failure should become
> a problem though when the error is close to the end of the frame.
> Adding a checksum should be no problem, that can be done.
Just to avoid confusion on my side:
The word "frame" here applies to a video-frame or something like a
data-frame inside the bitstream?

>> 2) Can you decode the next frame. Since FFV1 does not specify the
>> container, that is not a property of FFV1. If you store it in e.g.
>> NUT the answer is "better than with any MPEG-format", if you would store
>> it in mov/mp4 the answer would be "about the same as for e.g. Intra-only H.264"
>> I'd say.
> yes but dont forget ffv1 can reuse range coder contexts over frames
> so one has to set the gop size to 1 if this kind of next frame recovery
> is important to them

Interesting to hear that.
These are exactly the "small details" which I'd love to find when
reading docs about FFv1 :)
I thought that when using an intra-frame-only codec, all frames are
self-contained and there'd be no GOPs. Am I getting something wrong here?

Thanks,
Pb