[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg based video player for ios devices.

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Apr 16 14:53:42 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 08:18:43AM -0400, compn wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:11:13 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 02:18:37PM +0530, Vijayendra Tripathi wrote:
> >> Hi Everyone,
> >>
> >> I wish to create an ffmpeg based player for iPhone and iPad. I am not
> >> conversant with video programming. However I was able to write a small demo
> >> on iPhone simulator that reads frames and displays them on screen without
> >> any audio. I looked into ffmpeg code to some extent and it looked like time
> >> consuming process to build a proper video player out of it for ios devices.
> >> The big challenge I think would be audio - video sync. Also the current
> >> build script of ffmpeg failed to produce libraries for ARM architecture,
> >> may be I missed out something. I was able to run the demo on simulator
> >> using i386 compiled libraries though.  Is there anyone who is interested in
> >> consulting me on this?
> >
> >have you considered to just port ffplay to i* ?
> >its a working and maintained video player
> >its SDL based so theres possibly reason to replace the SDL parts with
> >something more native at some point ...
> >not sure how well SDL itself works on the i* devices
>
> maybe you could just merge this project back into ffmpeg:
> http://code.google.com/p/ffmpeg4iphone/

id love to but everything i found was a patch to a ffmpeg svn checkout
from 2009 that doesnt apply to uptodate ffmpeg

does anyone have a clean and uptodate patch or git clone ?

Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not
or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and
the brevity of human life -- Protagoras