[FFmpeg-devel] Unicode filenames support on Windows regression

Kirill Gavrilov gavr.mail at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 07:21:50 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 08:37, REN Lifeng <renlifeng at wowfly.com> wrote:

> My walkaround is modify the prepare_app_arguments function in
> cmdutils.c.
>   s/CP_UTF8/CP_ACP/
> But I am not sure if the above change works for others.
This allows you to open filenames that fits local codepage. But you can not
open filenames within French characters on Russian Windows and vice-versa.

Original patch allows you to push (almost) any Unicode filenames (converted
to UTF-8) to avformat_open_input() as well as in local codepage
(UTF-8 name interpretation will be in priority if both files exists though
I have no idea is it possible at all).

Notice that though in Windows command line console you can not see all
Unicode characters at-once they are pushed right on copy-paste
(means you can see wrong filename in console and still open file correctly
because internal storage is UTF-16).
Kirill Gavrilov,
Software designer.
<kirill at sview.ru>