[FFmpeg-devel] Format of decoded text subtitles

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Aug 2 12:19:07 CEST 2012

Le sextidi 16 thermidor, an CCXX, Hendrik Leppkes a écrit :
> If you break compat with ASS, what exactly will render your subs then?
> Sounds somewhat backward to break compat with one of the most common
> styled-text renderers, unless you want to write one of your own for the
> "ffass" format (which still is really backwards).

I do not want to break compatibility with anything. What I want to eliminate
is the need for every non-ASS subtitle decoder to pretend it is ASS even if
it does not fit at all.

Just look at a subtitle decoded by the SubRip decoder: it has a timestamp in
ASS syntax right in the middle of it, that is completely absurd and a
nightmare to manipulate.

What I propose is to have an internal format that is practical for most
purposes, rather than "very practical for one single purpose and very
impractical for all other purposes".

That means that if an application wants to feed the decoded subtitles to
libass, it would need to call "av_subtitle_to_ass()" on it instead of just
accessing the ass field; that is not the end of the world. And for
transition, the ass field could be preloaded anyway.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George