[FFmpeg-devel] compiling with non-free

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 20:14:51 CEST 2012

It appears from my (admittedly little) researching and legal
knowledge, that it should be "legal license-wise" to compile a local
version of ffmpeg that includes both gpl and "non free" type
libraries:

http://betterlogic.com/roger/2012/07/can-you-mix-gpl-and-closed-sourceproprietarylgpl-on-an-in-house-non-distributed-application

I.e. as long as you don't redistribute the binary, it's ok to build
and use "in-house" type of thing (basically the GPL only applies to
distribution).  Any feedback/thoughts there (I'll be building a script
to allow end users to mix and match for "local only" builds, and
wanted to know if there was any feedback there).  ./configure "allows"
one to make this build, and gives you the warning that the build is
"undistributable"...?
Thoughts?
-roger-