[FFmpeg-devel] current way to tell if image is bottom up -possible bug

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Aug 23 20:37:35 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 02:26:55PM -0400, Don Moir wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 01:56:04PM -0400, Don Moir wrote:
> >>It used to be that you could check AVCodecContext.extradata for
> >>"BottomUp" to determine if an image was bottom up.
> >>
> >>That no longer works and AVCodecContext.extradata is null.
> >>
> >>So is there a new way to determine this or does this need to be
> >>reported as a bug?
> >>
> >>I have a video that is now upside down because I cannot
> >>determine the orientation from ffmpeg as far as I can tell. It's
> >>also upside down in ffplay.
> >>

> >>It worked before but not sure how long ago that was.
>
> >if it worked before (in ffplay for example, and fails now)
> >then its a bug
>
> So your saying extradata should contain "BottomUp" in this case? I
> always thought this was a bit strange and thinking a flag should be
> used instead.
>
> I don't know for sure if it ever worked in ffplay because I don't
> think ffplay ever checked for "BottomUp". Just saying its upside
> down in ffplay.
>
> For me, I check for "BottomUp" and invert if necessary and no longer can do.
>
> Just reply and I will report it as a bug.

iam not saying anything about extradata or BottomUp, just that if
it worked with ffplay in the past and no longer works then its likely
a bug, also if it works with some other player and doesnt work with
ffplay its likely a bug

To be able to say more i need a reproduceable testcase and sample
video

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates