[FFmpeg-devel] for ffmpeg org

John Dexter jdxsolutions at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 20:52:21 CET 2012

> Most of the FFmpeg devs develop on Linux, so there probably won't be a lot
> of motivation to port the code just to use Visual Studio.

This is a bit  of a self-perpetuating argument though. While the core
developers are non-Windows, the lack of enthusiasm towards making
ffmpeg Windows-friendly acts to drive those away who would be
interested. I imagine there are loads of people who would love what is
proposed... but they aren't on this list! And the core developers
clearly aren't - and shouldn't - going to want new people making major
changes like this.

Every search I've done shows ffmpeg is _the_ cross-platform solution
for adding video functionality to C/C++ apps. It's therefore rather
perplexing it got to that status, in a world where VC++ is the
dominant C++ compiler for commercial projects (purely due to OS
share), without being "forced" to be more friendly. Or I suppose I
mean it's perplexing the Windows people didn't club together and make
a proper Windows port of what is such a well-regarded library. Many
leading open-source projects began as Linux, but the big ones I've
used have all (gladly or begrudgingly) come to support Windows
natively since it gives them a far bigger user-base.

Or maybe Windows people just download the pre-compiled libs and give
up on contributing!

John.