[FFmpeg-devel] for ffmpeg org

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Wed Feb 8 21:02:34 CET 2012

>> I use Visual Studio all the time to compile, build and use FFMPEG. You
>> need to discard the MSVC compiler and instead use Intel C Compiler and
>> setup the C99 compile mode. Need to make some minor changes such as use
>> the pthread simulation library (open source) and get the unistd.h,
>> stdint.h amd inttypes.h and it all works. Also need to ifdef strings.h
>> ... All third party libraries do not work but libx264, libfaac, ... does.
>
> I noted http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/ offers pre-built Windows libs...
> are they VC++ compatible? If so does that represent the only way to
> use ffmpeg in VC++ without plugging in a new compiler, which is a
> fairly serious step to take?

The real thing is to get it to compile in dev studio. Which means the Intel
compiler or MS compiler but there could be more.

The Intel compiler comes real close to compiling ffmpeg but still alot of
little things to #define / #ifdef modify.

The zeranoe dll's work find for VC++, the libs work fine, the h files work
fine (both MS and Intel). The problem is you can't trace into debug ffmpeg
because the debug symbols are not compatible with dev studio.

Since most windows apps use dev studio for C/C++ development, it's a real
pain to debug ffmpeg. Seems if you could compile ffmpeg out of the box using
at least the Intel compiler, it would improve ffmpeg because you would be
getting better feed back from people trying to build real apps for windows
using ffmpeg.

I am able to manage this but it would be nice if someday this was available.