[FFmpeg-devel] Snow documentation effort

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Feb 26 16:18:47 CET 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 03:17:50AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> let me "quote" reality:
> funded development and review is done on closed mailing lists where
> FFmpeg developers have been banned (is that the promote development
> and free part ?)

This to my knowledge is nothing the foundation is involved with.
Those who accept a certain task to my knowledge are free to decide
on which list to develop.
At the very least none of the proposals I saw or agreed to said that
development has to happen on the Libav lists or that it is not fine
to develop against FFmpeg.
Of course I can't know whether there were any suggestions or
"suggestions" outside that, but even then it would not be directly
related with the foundation.

> The people who do the extra work to get the funded development into
> main FFmpeg, debug and maintain it there are doing so enirely
> volunteerly and get no cent.

So are the Libav people reviewing it (even if you maybe think that rather
a privilege) and maintaining it on the Libav side.
If you have a specific funding proposal it would be easier for me to
say more about this.
But it is clear that mostly the foundation has been sponsoring big
projects, so I have no idea what other directors think about sponsoring
this kind of small but possibly long-term stuff.

> If that doesnt qualify as the foundation using its funds with maximum
> force against FFmpeg then i wonder what else they could do that would
> be more hostile?

Not sponsoring anything so that FFmpeg would not even get the code
indirectly and with extra effort through Libav?

> > Well the no webpage situation i bad. We will publish spendings on it
>
> > but I see no point in disclosing the result in the vote.
>
> What point does voting for the directors have when the community cant
> check if their director actually did what he says he would.

Hm, I don't see what I _could_ do considering FFmpeg vs. Libav.
It's not like there are 100s of people proposing some big codec
implementation work and we'd have to pick-and-choose.
So stuff just happens on whichever list and in whichever way
those doing the work want to.