[FFmpeg-devel] CrystalHD and ffmpeg probe behaviour

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jan 15 00:26:53 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 12:23:28AM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 03:23:32PM -0700, Philip Langdale wrote:
> > Is there some combination of options that will do this or is there a
> > software limitation
> > I need to fix?
>
> IMO ideally you'd just change ffmpeg to reconfigure itself when
> the pix_fmt changes.
> I don't think there is any real need for it to know it until after
> a frame was actually decompressed.

Small correction, it needs/should have it to decide which one to use
if the chosen encoder supports multiple formats.
But the one from the software decoder should work just fine.
And also, a possible solution might be to prefer the CrystalHD decoder
so it is always used when it would work (i.e. compiled in, hardware
available, compatible format), while a bit risky it would only
affect people who have such a decoder so at least I don't mind
the risk :-)