[FFmpeg-devel] Allow output files as read-write

Collins, Andrew Andrew.Collins at eu.sony.com
Fri Jan 20 11:05:51 CET 2012

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply. You are correct, the problem is on Windows. For info we use ffmpeg on Windows, Linux and Mac, this particular situation is with Windows and the problem is as you guessed.

I completely agree with your thoughts on it being a bad idea to make a generalisation when opening the output for protocols where it is not possible to read-write and another approach may be to look at a change in file.c. However, this does also bring the question that even if file.c were modified for special behaviour FFMPEG is still asking at a logical level to always open the file for write (only), rather than requesting it be opened for read-write.

Surely, considering your comments it might be better to have an option to say open for read-write - this is the request from the user and is therefore true and not "lying" and then check at the open stage whether the protocol would allow read-write rather than fudging file.c.

I'll give it some thought and see if I can put together a code-change.

As I said, we're seeing the need for this now with the newly implemented chunked MOV/MP4 file support which is excellent. It means we can read the files while they are being transcoded in our case to be able to play the files while they are being transcoded.

Regards,

Andy

Andrew Collins
Senior Manager, Content Workflow Solutions of Europe (CWSoE)
Tel: 01256 483351

Professional Solutions Europe, a division of Sony Europe Limited.
A company registered in England and Wales. Registered office: The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey. KT13 0XW. Registered company number 2422874