[FFmpeg-devel] API

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Jan 28 18:41:37 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 09:05:39AM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni <at> gmx.at> writes:
>
> > Todays merge brought in some API removials,
>
> At least the following would have to be reverted for successful
> MPlayer compilation:
> f326501a lavc: remove disabled FF_API_DRC_SCALE cruft.
> 9ce2a91b lavc: remove disabled FF_API_MPEGVIDEO_GLOBAL_OPTS cruft.
> 491f443e lavc: remove disabled FF_API_ER cruft.
> 99ace37e lavc: remove disabled FF_API_MJPEG_GLOBAL_OPTS cruft.
> 6c8dab98 lavc: remove disabled FF_API_PALETTE_CONTROL cruft.
> 3b4aaa61 lavc: remove disabled FF_API_AVFRAME_AGE cruft.
> fbca04e6 lavc: remove disabled FF_API_OLD_FF_PICT_TYPES cruft.
> 2439f2ca lavf: remove disabled FF_API_OLD_AVIO cruft
> 3211932c lavc: remove disabled FF_API_AVCODEC_INIT cruft.
> 38233fc1 lavf: remove disabled FF_API_OLD_METADATA2 cruft
> 2fb75019 lavf: remove disabled FF_API_FORMAT_PARAMETERS cruft
> ec104eef lavc: remove disabled FF_API_ALLOC_CONTEXT cruft.
> 96e9b96f lavc: remove disabled FF_API_SNOW_GLOBAL_OPTS cruft.

Just to update: MPlayer builds now fine, but it will
not work against external FFmpeg.
This is because as far as I can tell there is no
longer any public API that allows to use libavformat protocol
implementations unbuffered.
Even if it worked I'd be reluctant to change to change
to the buffered avio API that would result more complexity
and overhead due to having pointlessly two buffers (the FFmpeg
and the MPlayer one).