[FFmpeg-devel] rtmp_read_seek unreachable?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Jan 28 19:25:11 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 06:43:07PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 05:32:04PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 02:39:39PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > with the removal of av_url_read_seek I don't see any way that it would
> > > be possible to call rtmp_read_seek or mmsh_read_seek (not available
> > > through external API, no internal code uses it), how is this supposed
> > > to work now?
> >
> > calling the AVIOContext seek should work
>
> I missed the assignment somehow (I think that cast there is not
> really correct, if someone has the motivation to fix it).
>
> > but we can put
> > av_url_read_seek back if anyone sends a patch
>
> I guess it doesn't matter unless the whole URLContext stuff
> is made public again.

Sounds like ohh god i am starving and ohh god i need to put on my
right shoe to leave the house to cross the street for the supermarket
but i guess it doesnt matter unless i also put on my left shoe.

putting the URLContext stuff back is a good idea, its the low level API
and one needs access to it for many things like well writing a custom
protocol for example. It should be put back
And IMHO it should be done by the people who need it. Its better if
work is done by thouse needing it, they have interrest in doing it
right and they have interrest (as well as easy means) in properly
testing as well as keeping it working.

Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not
or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and
the brevity of human life -- Protagoras