[FFmpeg-devel] compile error for few days

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Jul 2 07:51:54 CEST 2012

On 1 Jul 2012, at 13:56, Alexander Strasser <eclipse7 at gmx.net> wrote:
>>  */
>> static av_always_inline float av_int2float(uint32_t i)
>> {
>> +#ifdef __cplusplus
>> +    union av_intfloat32 v;
>> +    v.i = i;
>> +#else
>>     union av_intfloat32 v = { .i = i };
>> +#endif
>>     return v.f;
>> }
>
>  I do not think it makes sense to keep both versions.
>
>  Also I am not sure how often we export inline functions that contain
> C99 specific features in public API, like in this case designated
> initializers for aggregate/union types.
>
>  IIRC Reimar complained from time to time to not use C99 features that
> did not get into the very recent C++ standard in public headers.

No, I only complain about the ridiculousness of these very useful features still not being included in C++ and an argument why you really should not be using such a crap language as C++ but in very exceptional circumstances.
I occasionally grow soft on people insisting otherwise though.

> Maybe we should come up with some guide lines
> about this. E.g. if it is in a macro it might be ok to expose it as it
> won't trigger compile errors when used from C++ assuming that macro is
> not used by the client source code.

If you want to avoid it, just change "make test" to push all public headers through gcc in C++ mode (with the extern "C" and a few defines we already require around it).
Nobody will care if its just guidelines not backed by a test anyway.